At St Mark’s we prioritise each child’s sense of belonging as part of our community. We understand that children who feel safe, supported and connected to their peers and their school environment have the confidence to engage better in their learning.
We offer a comprehensive transition program for our new Foundation students that includes:
- Four informal meet and play sessions in our school playground and library where children can meet each other, explore our facilities and get to know our teachers and Principal;
- Two formal visits in a classroom setting to familiarise students with their teacher and the classroom environment;
- Opportunities to meet other new families at St Mark’s Lutheran Church’s Friday Playgroup and Mainly Music sessions;
- A Parent Information Evening to guide new school parents in how they can support their child’s learning and opportunities for families to become involved in school life;
- Partnerships with kindergartens and Early Learning Centres in Mt Barker where our staff meet with educators and prospective students, and opportunities for children from these centres to visit our school on excursions;
- Assigning each Foundation child a Year 6 Buddy who will support, mentor and guide them through their first year at St Mark’s.
We also welcome families on our Student Led and Principal’s Tours.